Position Title: Trainee in Database Management
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Contract duration: 6 months
Beginning of the internship: As soon as possible
Compensation and benefits: The internship will be unpaid but any expenses in the work environment, in Antananarivo and outside, will be supported by the MIHARI network.
MIHARI, an acronym that translates as " MItantana HArena an-dRanomasina avy eny Ifotony " is a network created in 2012. It brings together all locally-managed marine management communities in Madagascar, better known in English, under the term Locally Managed Marine Areas (LMMA) and their support organizations. Today, it is estimated that nearly 200 community associations, located in 9 coastal regions of the country, are members of the MIHARI network, with around twenty supporting NGOs.
Since 2015, a database on the situation of these 200 LMMA managers has been established, with information obtained through collaboration with their support organizations. The primary objective of this database is to make all information on LMMAs in Madagascar available to various entities, such as the Malagasy government, MIHARI network partners, coastal communities, as well as any other actors involved. in the management of LMMA.
From February to August 2017, MIHARI recruited a student who was in charge of making this database operational. As part of his internship, an online format to fill this database, called "Database 1.0", has been set up on the network site. This tool allows partners to upload information held on LMMAs that they support respectively, and is currently used and functional for all these NGOs.
In order to continue the work that has already been put in place, the network is looking for a new trainee for the period September 2017 - March 2018. The position will be based in Antananarivo with the possibility of frequent trips to MIHARI's intervention areas.
Under the supervision of the national coordinator of the MIHARI network and working closely with the MIHARI team and some Blue Ventures database management managers, the trainee will be in charge of:
- Ensure the smooth running of the global LMMA database in Madagascar, in coordination with the various partners.
- Set up the version "Database 2.0" which will contain new information to fill on the LMMA.
- Continue work on online visualization of pre-filled data - Enhance information from the database through various formats, such as summaries, graphs, maps, policy briefs, factsheets, web articles, etc.
- With the support of the MIHARI Communications Manager, implement the predefined sharing modes of the database with LMMA communities and other entities.
- Support MIHARI's other activities according to the needs of the network and the availability of the trainee.
- Holds a university degree in Multimedia (Computer Science, Communication) or Environment (at least Bac +3).
- Mastery of French and English.
- Good command of the Ms office pack.
- Creative, dynamic, responsible, motivated, flexible, autonomous and able to work in a team.
- Available for frequent trips.
- Good level in Malagasy.
- Knowledge of data analysis and GIS tools.
- Good knowledge of website management tools.
- Interested in marine conservation and the LMMA concept.
- Good synthesis spirit.
- Database on available and updated LMMA (Database 2.0).
- Online visualization of the LMMA database on the network site.
- Various formats for sharing the database: summaries, graphs, maps, policy briefs, factsheets, web articles, etc.
- A report summarizing the general methodologies adopted for the management of the LMMA database and achievements, which will be presented officially to the MIHARI team for sharing experiences.
The working hours will be from 9h to 17h30 from Monday to Friday (questionable depending on the availability of the student).
The MIHARI Network, through Blue Ventures will cover the following costs:
- All transportation costs and lunch in the context of work at Antananarivo and outside Antananarivo.
- Subsistence allowance, according to the Blue Ventures rate for any stay outside Antananarivo, as part of the work.
- All accommodation costs for stays outside Antananarivo, as part of the work.
- The materials and equipment that the student may need as part of his internship (Internet, telephone credits, printing costs, notebooks, etc.).
Send resume (with at least one professional or academic reference) and cover letter to [email protected] and [email protected] until 22 August 2017 .
Put in the subject of your email: " internship offer - Database Management "