Position title: Media and Communication Officer
Location: Antananarivo and the other areas of intervention of MIHARI
Closing date for application: 31 August 2016
Start date: September 2016
The past decade has seen a groundswell of interest in community based marine conservation in Madagascar. 12% of the country’s seabed is now under management of local communities through the development of Locally Managed Marine Areas (LMMAs), with most of them located in remote areas. However, Madagascar’s limited infrastructure presents practical barriers to exchange and communication between those LMMAs. The MIHARI network was created in 2012 as a means to link isolated coastal communities to allow community leaders to share ideas and successful models through peer-to-peer learning, as well as to represent the interests of small-scale fishers at the national level; in particular fisheries policy development. Network members now include over 150 community associations and the non-governmental organizations that support them. Government authorities are regularly consulted in the network’s activities (www.mihari-network.org).
The MIHARI Network is recruiting a skillful and highly motivated Media and Communication Officer.
Under the supervision of the Network’s National Coordinator, the Media and Communication Officer’s responsibilities are:
- To develop communication materials: brochures, posters, simple videos, local newspapers, radio programmes and other media in a number of Malagasy dialects, French and English
- To develop and implement the communications strategy for the network
- To support the network’s awareness raising activities and campaigns
- To collaborate with MIHARI partners to ensure smooth communication within the network
- To ensure that the MIHARI photo database, newsletter, blogs and website are updated on a regular basis, through writing material and ensuring contributions from MIHARI members
- To help in the organization of press field trips (forums, exchange visits, workshops, etc.)
- Lead MIHARI public relations activities (organize press conferences etc,)
- Manage MIHARI social-network accounts (Facebook, twitter, etc,)
- Ensure MIHARI branding is well applied at the local, national and international levels
- Any other tasks agreed with the National Network Coordinator
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- Master's or bachelor’s degree in communications or related field
- At least two years relevant experience as communication officer preferably in an official institution or NGO (desired)
- Experience in collaboration with Malagasy press industry
- Excellent written and spoken Malagasy, French and English
- REQUIRED SKILLS
- Good knowledge of website content management tools
- Good knowledge of edition softwares (eg. photoshop, InDesign and/or Adobe Premiere a plus)
- Creative, passionate and flexible
- Interest in marine conservation and environment
- Good photographer is a plus
- Autonomous, proactive and able to work as part of a team
- Availability to travel when required
Applicants should apply by sending the 2 following documents: a copy of their CV (with three professional references) and a cover letter to [email protected] and [email protected]. Please put “MIHARI communication officer” as the subject of your email.
We also encourage recent graduates to apply, or those for whom this may be their first role in communications.